Consideration of Individuals with Disabilities
K-12 schools and district entities receiving federal funding are required to take steps to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided with equal opportunities (accessibility and reasonable accommodations) in their programs and activities per the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504.
· The Reauthorized Rehabilitation Act of 1998, Amended Section 508 addresses the issue of electronic and information technology goods and services that are not fully accessible to all individuals with disabilities.
Section 508 Standards for Web-based intranet and internet information and applications
School and district entities receiving funding via the Federal E-Rate Program (E-Rate) must enforce a policy of Internet safety and certify compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) which requires Internet Safety Policy, Technology Protection Measures, and Public Notice (Hearing or Meeting).
Web Accessibility Resources
· Access Board (Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board)
· ITTATC (Information Technology and Technical Assistance Training Center)
· CAST (Center for Applied Technology)
· Access SC IT (ASCIT)
· Federal Trade Commission (COPPA)
· South Carolina School for Deaf and the Blind (Accessible Website Example) Consider website mobility user friendly concerns for user access via cell phones and devices.