Outside Reading--3rd Quarter
DATE__ – you must complete The Great Gatsby and assignment
DATE __ -- you must complete the novel of your choice from this list and assignment
No substitutions will be made. No credit for late work will be given. No extra credit will be made available. The books may or may not be in our school library.
Read N Quiz
A Raisin in the Sun
The House on Mango Street
The Sun Also Rises
The Secret Life of Bees
Sue Monk Kidd
The Call of the Wild
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Kurt Vonnegut Jr
The Invisible Man
As I Lay Dying
These titles have been carefully selected to assist you on your path to higher education. You may find them challenging. Remember to approach them as you approach stories in class. This assignment is not for leisurely reading, but for thoughtful consideration of historical context and literary style. You may consider forming book groups to read the books together. Please complete the character profile on your own.
Accelerated Reader Report
Name __________________________________________________________ Date ___________________
Title of Book ____________________________________________________________________________
Author _______________________________________________ AR TEST SCORE __________________
Select one main character and write a profile by completing each of the following questions in two or three sentences. This must be typed. Sentence structure, spelling, grammar, etc. all count. Follow the guidelines below.
· Use font size 12, Times New Roman, black ink only
· Use one inch margins (file, page setup, margins)
· You must number and type out the question as it appears on this sheet.
· Double space entire document (format, paragraph, line spacing – start on normal, then change it to 2.0)
· Use in text citation – give page numbers – with your evidence and support
Failure to follow these guidelines will result in a lower grade.
Select one main character and write a profile by completing the following questions in two or three sentences. Watch your capitalization and punctuation. Fill out the top of this sheet and staple it to the top of your work. Do not turn your work without the print out of your AR test score.
1. What is the character’s name, age and gender?
2. Where does the character live? Be descriptive. Cite Examples.
3. What do you know about the character’s family? Are there parents, siblings? Describe their relationship. Explain and cite examples.
4. What are the character’s special qualities, gifts, talents, challenges? Is there anything unusual about the character? Explain and cite examples.
5. Who are the character’s peers? Describe their relationships and cite examples.
6. What is the character’s main problem? Cite evidence.
7. What does the character do to resolve this problem? Cite evidence.
8. Is the character pleased with the resolution? Explain and cite examples.
9. Would you recommend this book to your peers? Why or why not.
10. How challenging did you find this book? Explain and cite examples.